- Electrolytes are solutions of acids or salts
- They help the body conduct motor control electrical signals
- Electrolytes are gradually lost during exercise
- Only intense and extended exercise requires extra electrolyte replishment
- Extreme exercise without replishment may result in overhydration
If you are involved, for example, in an Iron Man, Ultramarathon or even (as I will be) the London To Brighton Bike Ride for The British Heart Foundation you will need supplement drinks. If, however, you are simply "down the gym during lunch" (as I will be, also) you won't need anything more than water.